Thursday, May 08, 2003

Wishful thinking

So I told the company that they have to pay my return fare. And, cos I had nothing better to do, I read the Immigration Act ...well the section pertaining to aliens. Quite interesting really...not! Find the clause that's applicable. There it is, in black and white. NICE!!!!! So I sent that to them but they want my lawyer to call their lawyer as he's not aware. And they claim they're not aware that they are obligated to do anything. Errr...you sponsored me. Of course you are. My lawyer agrees totally and will call today.

In the meantime, I told him the story so he asked what the father's position is. Owner. Is he CEO. I don't know. We looked them up on the NY State web-site. No officer listing. Hmmmm. Ask the son. Why? Well, if the father doesn't hold an official position you might not actually be fired! Really? Wouldn't that be nice. But somehow I doubt it'll work out that way....like I said, wishful thinking.....

Update, update, update!!! Comment from the lawyer:

I do note that the requirement to pay return fare is in one of the signature boxes on the form for H-1B. If the employer claims they didn't know about it, they simply didn't read the form that they had to sign four times.

GOTCHA!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home